Monday, February 18, 2013

ParaNorman - A late, short, review

When I saw the trailer for this film, I knew I wanted to see it. But I didn't. It came through theatres and I just didn't get around to seeing it. I have no idea why. I just watched it yesterday and I only have love for this film.

I'll have to update my Top 15 List and include this because it is wonderful. The animation is inspired, beautiful and breathtaking. The story is original, the writing is fresh, funny and features a few good scares.

Norman is a relatable and easy to cheer for as he struggles with bullying, and being misunderstood by nearly everyone around him. His friend, Neil, provides the necessary comic relief and reminded me of Chowder from 'Monster House' - another film I loved. Like 'Monster House', 'ParaNorman' blends horror and humour beautifully without going over the line and making it too scary for it's targeted adolescent audience.

The voice work is wonderful, as each actor inhabits their role with special recognition given to Casey Affleck who I did not initially recognize as Mitch, the muscled out older brother to Neil. He plays the dumb-jock role, and he plays it well. The character design is wonderfully unique as each character has a different look and feel that fits their personality. This just made me smile because it showed how much time and effort went into creating this world and these characters and the final result is fantastic. This film is beautiful on Blu Ray and I recommend it to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment