Friday, December 16, 2011

The Best Dance Album of 2011?

I am a sucker for pop music. Especially female-led pop music. There is just something about female vocals and catchy, vibrant tunes that really gets me going.

I first heard of September while I was listening to a Pandora station with mainly Kylie influences on their. I was hooked from the moment I heard ‘Cry For You’ and from then on I was looking for all things September. I created a Pandora station with her style of music and really just fell in love with her pop style.

I have never heard her songs on any US radio station and I probably won’t because she’s not Gaga or Beyonce. She doesn’t reinvent the wheel with pop but she does it well. That’s why I have proclaimed her 2011 album ‘Love CPR’ to be my dance album of the year.

When I say ‘dance’ I mean a song that you can hear at a party and just start dancing to because the beat and hooks are infectious. Needless to say September delivers on that with a massive 20 song album.

September kicks the album off with, one of my songs of the year, ‘Party In My Head’. A song that really brings out the dance vibe as she sings ‘I don’t care if the whole club is dead/because the party’s in my head’. It’s a song that illustrates that you can have a great time even if it’s just in your head and you don’t care how others view your joyous/dancing nature.

A real highlight on the album is that she includes 5 songs in her native Swedish. The standalone track being ‘Baksmälla’, which translates to ‘Hangover’. She sings about waking up late and f***ing up again and getting drunk and it’s mixed awesomely with rhyming vocals by Petter to give the track more of an edge. She also includes the Swedish version of ‘Me & My Microphone’ – which appears earlier on the album – and if you like the English version you’ll enjoy the Swedish one too.

Other tracks of note: Ricochet, Hands Up, Heat Rising, and Music.

No comments:

Post a Comment