Monday, January 31, 2011

In defense of ‘iCarly’

It’s silly, it’s stupid, it’s childish, it’s not even filmed in the city it takes place in nor are any of the exteriors, it’s funny, it’s inane, it’s what the kids watch, it’s filled with some bad acting, it’s filled with some mediocre acting, it’s lovable, it’s ridiculous, it’s one of the reasons I question my sanity, it’s ‘iCarly”.

Yes, I watch ‘iCarly’. Oh well, deal with it.

I remember flipping through the channels one slow Saturday afternoon looking for something to watch while I ate my lunch. I happened upon ‘iCarly’ and didn’t really know what it was until the first commercial break. I had heard of the show before but I knew nothing about it. I was in the dark. Now I actively search out new episodes, or ones I have yet to see, so that I can be caught up. But why? Why would I watch this kids show? I watch ‘Dexter’, ‘Modern Family’, ‘Breaking Bad’, ‘30 Rock’, ‘The Office’, ‘Fringe’, ‘Big Love’, ‘Survivor’, ‘NCIS’, and ‘Smallville’ (I think I hit every major network) so why would I watch a show directed at/made for children? I have no idea.

It’s about a girl who has her web show (unlike every other tween with a MacBook) but this is different – she’s popular. Gasp! They do random skits and watch videos and that’s it. That’s what makes it popular. The entire show is based around this web show and everything that comes with the internet and celebrity. It’s a guilty pleasure, I don’t think it’s great but it’s enjoyable. Nothing more, nothing less. Enter eccentric brother and friends and their crazy shenanigans. I laugh a few times, out loud, at the older brother, Spencer and their friend Gibby who seem to have a knack for physical comedy and are just funny to watch. I also watch for the obvious love triangle between Sam, Freddie and Carly.

I’ve never understood why people call it a love triangle, that would imply that everybody is into everybody. Meaning Carly and Sam are in love with each other the same way that Sam loves Freddie (although she won’t admit it) and Freddie loves Carly (although Carly doesn’t feel the same way, but also sees that Sam loves Freddie so she stays away). But that’s a totally different topic in and of itself, one meant for a deeper discussion and if you were feeling really snarky, it could be a thesis topic. Lesbianism and ‘iCarly’ how love knows no age. But I digress.

Here’s a main character rundown: Carly is a bit too stiff and perfect to be funny, so funny things are done to her. She’s the cool girl because she has her own web show. Sam is the one who does all of the funny stuff, albeit odd stuff (like eating a whole turkey leg from out of her locker) and it’s funny because she comes from a broken home (mom: guest star Jane Lynch) and gets into trouble all of the time. Aw shucks, ‘aint she a pain in the butt?! Freddie is the nerd, but lovable, as he takes care of all of their technical needs but he is definitely needy and yearns to break free from the protective cocoon created by his mother. But that’s not why I defend the show.

It’s harmless. In an era that has given rise to the celebrity of people who have no discernible talents ( here, here, and here) it’s refreshing to watch a kids show that’s about kids for kids. Yes, they have existed before and will continue to exist but I like having my faith in humanity restored when I can turn on Nickelodeon and see TV shows that are for kids. I can also turn to Disney Channel to find these shows as well (‘Good Luck Charlie’, ‘Wizards of Waverly Place’) both of which I quite like, and are actually better shows than ‘iCarly’ because they have better actors and better writers who don’t seem to be as self-absorbed as creator Dan Schneider is as he put his Schneider name on just about everything on the show, but this is about ‘iCarly’ and why I like it. Regardless of who is behind the scenes.

‘iCarly’ gets some flak for featuring some “brat factor” but that doesn’t bother me. The kids are quirky, the action is ludicrous, i.e. jumping out of a cargo plane over Japan or being commissioned to choreograph a once big pop star (blatant Britney Spears reference) but it’s escapist fun and the overall vibe of the show is positive and in a world where kids are exposed to this I welcome this type of show and champion it’s heart which is the friendship between the kids and their families and friends. So there, I watch ‘iCarly’ and approve of all of it’s ludicrousness and if you don’t like it then you don’t know what the chiz you’re missing out on.

No comments:

Post a Comment