Monday, January 31, 2011

State License Plates: A 51-Part Examination Part 1: Delaware

I’ve finally got the gumption to do something I’ve been wanting to do for a long time. Write about US State license plates. How droll. What I plan to do is look at the most recent license plate of each of the 50 states, plus Washington D.C., and give my take on what’s going on in the plate itself. I am not going to look at the special plates issued. Rather, I am looking at the ones most in use by the people living and driving in that state. I’m going to go in order of when the state joined the Union starting with Delaware and ending with Hawaii.

Delaware:

delaware

Ah Delaware, a classic use of a two-color scheme as the yellow border draws your eyes toward the numbers. The numbers stand out from the background so they are easier to see but that’s about it. There is nothing fancy about this license plate, granted it comes from a state that is most famous for Joe Flacco and this.

As you can see it’s slogan is ‘The First State’, it’s also the first state to lack charisma. They stick to their state colors of colonial blue and buff but nothing pops off the plate. It just sits there. I don’t want a gaudy plate, but I don’t want something boring either and this is borderline boring – if it weren’t for the use of state colors. I give the state credit for sticking with a color scheme that is true to it’s history and keeping the same look for all of these years, because tradition is important, but that’s all I can give. I want to like this plate more but I can’t. Out of respect for the ‘First State’ I give this plate a solid B.

1 comment:

  1. It just looks old. I don't know, the fact that I could presumably find this license plate on a 1935 Ford Eifel (it's real, trust me) is a bit of a bummer. The best part of the California license plates are that they have changed on a semi-regular basis. I like the fact that cars from different eras will have different plates. Solid C in my book.

    ReplyDelete