Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Appreciating ‘American Pie’

As a lazy Sunday afternoon bled into a lazy Monday I found myself where I always find myself when I am bored and have nothing to do. In front of the TV.

Now this particular day was special because there was practically nothing worth watching. The movie channels had nothing. The Networks had zilch (and the includes the ‘Pro Bowl’). Basic cable channels were showing next to nothing until I came upon Comedy Central (and their new bizarre logo) and saw a movie I had not watched in a long while, ‘American Pie’. Sure it was edited and blurred but the movie is still essentially the same. It wasn’t until I saw the movie in this form that I really saw what it was about. The friendship and coming of age story of these four friends and the journey they go on to accomplish their goals.

I remember ‘American Pie’ as the gross-out movie that was rated R, and for good reason. Stifler, the pale ale, the tongue tornado, band camp, Nadia, that ‘Asian Guy’, and everything else is all there but at the heart of it all is how each of the four friends, Jim, Finch, Oz, and Kevin grow throughout their quest. It’s a fairly honest look at what it’s like to be a teenager with hormones being the driving force behind all of your decisions. The film has always been about the strong bond the four friends have but I had never fully seen it because the gross out stuff is pushed to the forefront when in fact the friendship never goes away even amidst all of the turmoil and raunchy situations that happen.

I always liked the film, mainly because of the crude humor, nudity, and overall ridiculousness but I had never appreciated the film for the strong message of friendship and relationships it presented. When you break it down it’s the story of four best friends who would do anything for each other regardless of what that might be. It’s still about sex, bodily fluids, nudity, and apple pie but the friendship is what holds the film together and sets it apart from other teen comedies.

No comments:

Post a Comment