Wednesday, April 27, 2011

ESPN is getting on my nerves

Let me get something straight first. I watch ESPN regularly. Not as much as I used to, but I watch it for the sports banter and the highlights.

I don’t watch it for their draft coverage. Whether it’s the NBA or NFL, I do not care. Period. It is not interesting to me and to see them devote hours of coverage to whether or not Cleveland needs an offensive tackle more than a long snapper is a bit ridiculous to me.

Couple that with the unlikeable draft ‘experts’ Todd McShay and Mel Kiper Jr (who seriously needs a new hairstyle) and you have some of the most boring television ever. Now, granted, there are some die hard fans out there who go through their team position by position and say to themselves, their friends, their barber, priest, bartender, and paperboy that their team needs a down lineman more than a kick returner and that’s fine – for them. I get angry when I see wall-to-wall coverage of something that doesn’t need to be dissected this much when there are other things in the world of sport that are more interesting/exciting. It is something that is literally all speculation (commentating is that to a degree but this is more) because the only certainty lies with whoever has the first pick the rest is all guesswork and overanalyzing.

This leads me to their Top 10 plays of the day. I get that it’s an arbitrary system in deciding the top plays but to not include at least one of the stops from Manuel Neuer, of Schalke 04, from yeserday’s Champions League match is a crime. I hear people complain about football not getting any support in this country and here is a perfect opportunity to showcase some brilliant goalkeeping and ESPN blows it. Then again, this is coming from a network that spent an hour on ‘The Decision’, so, you know where their programming decisions lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment