Wednesday, January 11, 2012

State License Plates Part 8: South Carolina

Honest to God, I knew very little about South Carolina before I started writing this piece. I know that their Gamecocks won back-to-back College World Series titles in 2010 & 2011 and that they have a crescent moon hanging over them every single night. Beyond that, I am clueless as to what they have to offer us as a state. May 23, 1788 is when they became a state but they were also the first the secede from the Union and was the founding state of the Confederate States of America. I might suggest a do-over for those guys, hindsight being 20/20 and all.

It’s known as ‘The Palmetto State’ which is a direct reference to their state tree the palmetto. It’s motto is ‘Prepared in Mind and Resources’, but I don’t know what resources they have but I guess it’s best to be prepared (as the Boy Scouts say). OK, enough with the boring stuff let’s take a look at that plate.

south carolina

I initially liked the resemblance of the state flag on the plate and upon further viewing, I still like it. The colours are supposed to resemble a sunrise but it doesn’t really resemble that at all. I would’ve preferred them using their state colour, indigo, throughout the plate and maybe just directly related the plate to the flag. Indigo background, with a white crescent moon, palmetto and font. That would make it more resemble Michigan’s old plate but the indigo would make the blue deeper and darker and, I think, would’ve made the white lettering pop a bit more. Alas, this is what we have.

I like that it’s different from the other plates we’ve seen. The blending of the colours looks much better than the New Jersey plate. Mainly because the colours compliment each other and seem more natural as if it were an actual sunrise. I really like the palmetto tree in the middle as it naturally draws your eye right to the centre of the plate and then up and the moon and then you see ‘South Carolina’. Seems mystical with the crescent moon there and the sunrise gives it a sleepy/relaxing feel. Having never been to South Carolina I would assume that it’s a nice place to live and visit.

Aha! Then there’s the website I should go to: Travel2SC.com. But, like Pennsylvania before it, why are they telling people who own cars and RVs in South Carolina to go to that website? Do they assume that South Carolinians get around in their cars and travel often enough that people from other states will see them traveling down the road and think ‘Hey let’s go to South Carolina!’ I might think ‘Hey!, Why’re people from South Carolina everywhere else but South Carolina? Must not be the place to live…’ That’s a bit of a stretch but I am sure that there are some people out there that will think that way.

Overall, I like that the plate is different and the numbers and tree and moon really stand out. I just wish the ‘South Carolina’ was the as dark as the numbers. With that being the only drawback I give this plate a B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment