Friday, March 8, 2013

LA Wants 2024 Olympics. In other news I want to marry Charlize Theron

It could happen. But it probably won't. I'm talking about Los Angeles hosting the 2024 Olympics. I'm not talking about Charlize and I, because that's definitely going to happen.



The LA Times is reporting that the city council has notified members of the USOC (United States Olympic Committee) that they want another Olympics here. Previous games took place in 1932 and 1984.

My only question is why? Why monopolize the Olympic tradition? Why not let another US city have a chance to show itself to the world? The article reports that Dallas, San Francisco and Boston are in the running. I've been to the last two and they would be fine locations. Excellent locations, actually. I have not been to Dallas so I cannot comment - other than if the games are held in August, it will be damn hot.

What about somewhere else? What about the Pacific Northwest? I know Portland doesn't want them but what about the Emerald City? Seattle.

Seattle is my type of city. I enjoy the overcast and rainy weather, the waterfront, the greenery, the Space Needle, the Real World, apples, and the smell of coffee. I don't drink coffee, but I like the smell. But wait, 2010 saw the Olympics already in the Pacific Northwest in Vancouver. But that's Canada, this is America. The country that saved Europe and the world from Germany - twice. I think they kind of owe us for a long time.

But enough about Seattle, the real issue at hand is that the guy who is not going to be Mayor of Los Angeles for much longer is pushing this agenda to try and sweep everything else he's done under the rug. That way IF it does happen, he can stand in front of a ribbon and cut it to let everyone know HE was the one who spearheaded this movement. Sounds rather selfish, no?

I, for one, am not in support of this. I live here. The traffic is already bad enough. Will it be better in 11 years? Who knows. What I do know is that I want the Olympics somewhere else. LA does not need the exposure - we're already full of people who need to be seen anyway. And some of them are barely famous as it is! Let's try and keep the Olympics out of LA and give someone else a chance.

I doubt a US city will win the vote for 2024 but if it does, it's not going to be Los Angeles.

No comments:

Post a Comment