Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Taking a break

I'm taking a break this afternoon from my decade in review of films to address something that has been bugging me since I thought about it last night.

I enjoy watching "30 Rock" and the crazy antics that go on on the TGS set but lately I've been annoyed. I've been annoyed by the bevy of guest stars they've packed into episodes. Elizabeth Banks is an extremely funny woman but her hair looked awful and, to me, fake and it was all I could focus on. Steve Buscemi was underused last season and didn't have much to do in his episodes. Julianne Moore gave one of the worst Boston accents I've ever heard. And Brian Williams seems like he is having more fun than I am. I don't like being bombarded with actors that don't seem to fit into the show other than they are recognizable names.

I am not opposed to big name guest actors, but it needs to be done right and not just thrown in there so that the ads can say that the big name actor is on "30 Rock" this week. The show has done it correctly with Jon Hamm and Salma Hayak, but those appearances seem like eons ago.

*UPDATE: I was recently reminded about Oprah's episode and then I quickly forgot about it. That's how memorable it was to me. Easily forgettable, just an excuse to say Oprah was on "30 Rock" and she was barely in the episode. If you're going to use Oprah then make her more of a force and not just a device for Liz to do something that makes her look like a fool (mission accomplished) but their credibility in choosing guest stars took a hit. Here's to hoping that Michael Sheen is put to good use and not just another one-and-done.

No comments:

Post a Comment