Tuesday, August 24, 2010

An odd Drive-Thru

A few weeks back I found myself in Baldwin Park. Meh. Not my type of city but it's there regardless. As I waited at a stop light I found my eyes wandering and looking at the buildings surrounding the intersection. There was a gas station and a fast food place but what really caught my eye was what was directly to my right.

I looked at a plain-looking building and saw a driveway. Only this ran right next to the windows of the building. I looked harder and saw that at the driveway entrance was a Starbucks drive-thru order window. It's what came after the order window that really caught my eye.

Picture this: You drive up and order your coffee (does anyone really order just coffee anymore? I mean people order non-fat double shot espresso with almond vanilla milk - or whatever else they put in coffee - but you get the idea) and then on the driver side are windows to several other stores. You look and see a giant pink "T" for T-mobile and see the inside of the store and wonder if anyone really uses T-mobile anymore because the main carriers are Verizon and AT&T so you see T-mobile as being somewhat falling by the wayside.

You pull up and then you see something odd, but you don't know it's odd until you look deeper. You see an Indian woman (as in from India) smiling at you and then you read the caption on the photo: Eyebrow Threading. Eyebrow Threading? What the hell is that? If you take it literally, which you do, you would think that someone literally threads eyebrows into your face for cosmetic reasons. You shudder at the thought and then pull up to get your coffee and leave.

All the way home, or to work, you think about Eyebrow Threading and you have to know exactly what it is or else you'll go crazy. When you get home, or work, you pop on your computer and do a search. You see that what you originally thought was not true, in fact it's a process of removing single eyebrows by using thread. You then think: Can't they just use tweezers? You then make a decision to never go back through that drive-thru because that original image of Eyebrow Threading is ingrained in your brain and to see it again would trigger those thoughts so you say to yourself "We'll just avoid that odd drive-thru." And you do.

And I've never seen that drive-thru again.

No comments:

Post a Comment