Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Notable Alumni: Not Another Teen Movie

I’m starting a new segment here on The Life of Skillet and it deals with looking at films with ensemble casts and seeing where they ended up – in essence the ones that hit it big I ask one question: What happened to them?

To start things off I’m looking at the 2001 comedy Not Another Teen Movie. There’s no denying that this movie is not for everyone. With the current trend of spoof films coming out (ie Epic Movie and Meet the Spartans) it really makes me appreciate this film more even though it’s not on par with the greatest spoof film of all time: Airplane! (my opinion). This film was a breath of fresh air as it laid into most of the teen movies that had come out. Everything from the cheesy yet pleasing She’s All That to the underappreciated 10 Things I Hate About You and most of the filmography of the late, great John Hughes. The humor is crude, some of the jokes fall flat but for the most part I laugh and laugh throughout this film every time I watch it. It also features some very big names, albeit after the fact.

Chris Evans: Went on the star in both Fantastic Four films, the underrated Cellular, the under seen Sunshine, and was recently seen (although the box office returns beg to differ) in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and now he is set to play Captain America. Not bad for a guy who put whip cream on his body and a banana in his butt.

Chyler Leigh: She hasn’t done much film work but she has carved out for herself a steady television gig. She had a stint on The Practice and she’s been on Grey’s Anatomy (or so my mom tells me, and iMDB confirms) since 2007 so it’s safe to say she’s doing alright.

Eric Christian Olsen: This guy has popped up all over the place since Not Another Teen Movie. He was in the Dumb and Dumber sequel (unfortunately), Cellular with pal Chris Evans, Paul Haggis’ The Last Kiss, and he has recently been seen on TV’s Community (a show I love) and NCIS: Los Angeles (a show I occasionally follow).

Jaime Pressly: Probably the most recognizable name on the list due to her time on My Name is Earl where she won an Emmy in 2007. She was last seen in 2009’s I Love You, Man and if you want to find sexy pictures of her, it’s very easy.

Josh Radnor: Don’t know the name? Then you probably don’t watch one of my favorite shows on TV: How I Met Your Mother where he plays loveable/hopelessly in love architect Ted Mosby. If you don’t remember him in the movie then think back to the guy who explains why there was slow motion at the party or when he so justly points out how everyone at the school was a professional dancer. It’s him, and it took me viewing the film recently to see it was him.

For my next installment of Notable Alumni I will look at another comedy: Old School.

No comments:

Post a Comment