Tuesday, June 14, 2011

State License Plates: Part 5 - Connecticut

What’s in Connecticut? I mean besides the UCONN Huskies, the Connecticut Sun, and Stars Hollow. The Hartford Whalers left town and moved to Carolina, of all places, and won the Stanley Cup less than 10 years later. That’s got to sting a bit. But what’s in Connecticut? I’ve never been nor have I had in inkling to travel there – if only to cross it off my list of states to visit. Nevertheless it is a part of the USA and it was the 5th state admitted to the Union on January 9, 1788.

ct

Connecticut is known as ‘The Constitution State’ due to the claim by John Fiske that the Fundamental Orders of 1638/39 were the first written constitution in history. This is disputed by some historians, but not by me, because I’m not a historian and I’m just going to roll with it and examine this plate.

The blue used on the plate is consistent with the blue used on the state flag, so that’s nice that they have some continuity, but that’s all the plate has going for it. The state appears in the top left corner but that is the only thing that keeps it from being boring. Because let’s face it, if I wanted to look at blue and white colors all day I’d look up at the sky or out to the ocean or at a pool.

There isn’t a whole lot here for me to recommend other than the dark blue numbers and lettering really pop off the plate. Other than that this plate is very pedestrian, yet I admire it’s simplistic nature because it doesn’t try to do too much other than be a license plate. It gives the sense that it is by the water, which it is, (e.g. Atlantic Ocean and Connecticut River) and it does a simple job of doing so. Connecticut isn’t the next state I am going to go visit but the license plate does a good job of selling me whatever it is they happen to be selling. I give this state a B.

No comments:

Post a Comment