Monday, April 26, 2010

Films from 2009


The final year in my decade-in-review saw a lot of great films released, as well as some not so great ones (ahem "Transformers 2"), but as my previous lists would suggest I am focusing on my favorites from the year 2009.

I'd like to think I have just about every type of film on the list: animated/family friendly, action, drama, comedy, science fiction, romantic comedy, horror, and even foreign language. The first two films are my top two of the year and the rest follow in no particular order.

  1. Up
  2. Up in the Air
  3. Star Trek
  4. (500) Days of Summer
  5. Avatar
  6. District 9
  7. In the Loop
  8. Inglorious Basterds
  9. Drag Me To Hell
  10. The Hurt Locker
  11. The Hangover
  12. Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs
  13. I Love You, Man
  14. Taken
  15. Rudo y Cursi
"Up" is the best film from 2009 (and possibly Pixar's best) because of its heart, humor, rich characters, fantastic writing, and is filled with its share of action and dramatic moments. The first scenes of Carl and Ellie's life together would make for an amazing film in and of itself. Couple that with one of the final scenes, between Carl and Russell at his scouting ceremony, and you have some of the most moving scenes put to film. "Up" is a film that succeeds on all levels and is enjoyable for people of all ages. And remember, "Adventure is out there!"

No comments:

Post a Comment