Friday, April 2, 2010

Miscellany


This is just a couple of things I noticed this week that have either bugged me or intrigued me.

Why I already hate "Miami Medical":
Great. Another show about edgy doctors who don't really follow rules but get the job done nonetheless. They listen to rock and techno music and banter back and forth with each other about nothing while saving the lives of patients. Just what television needs. Nope. This normally wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't see their promo everywhere during the CBS lineup of shows, and during the Men's NCAA "March Madness" Basketball Tournament. And it's not just the promo, actually it is, but it's what happens at the very very end of it. There is one image that sticks out in my head that I just despise. It was the reason why I hate this show without having seen a minute of it (although, judging by it's reviews I think I'm not alone). It's the image you see above of the "sign of the horns" with the hand wearing latex medical gloves! Get it?! They're not your typical doctors because they know how to have fun even in a high pressure situation as trauma doctors! I would say somebody call 911, but this show's already D.O.A.

Vanna White - more than a letter turner:
I'm a big fan of "Wheel of Fortune" and a member of the "Wheel Watcher's Club" so as I was browsing around the "Wheel of Fortune" website last night I came across Vanna White's blog. Some of the items posted were in regards to behind the scenes type stuff of "Wheel" such as knowing the puzzle beforehand so she would know where to press the letters when called. Then there was one item that I just had to try out on my own and it involved two-way mirrors. She says that to determine if a mirror in a public place is two-way or not is to place your finger against the surface of the suspected mirror. If there's a gap between your finger and the image of your finger in the mirror, then it's a genuine mirror. If your fingernail directly touches the image of your nail then beware because it's a two-way mirror! I tested it on a real mirror and it worked but I don't have a two-way mirror but I would take her word for it.

It's April - why is ESPN talking about football (NFL & NCAA)?:
This one is fairly self-explanatory but it boggles my mind how much time ESPN dedicates to football when it's not even in season - or even remotely close. They have specific reporters for this situation but they annoy the hell out of me. Mel Kiper Jr. Todd McShay are some of the biggest D-bags on that network and seeing and hearing them makes he change the channel entirely. Every day they talk about so-and-so's Pro Day and I see a guy throwing a football (not under pressure!) or running sprints (without pads! mainly in his Under Armour) on a practice field with dozens and dozens of people around snapping photos, video and holding stopwatches. I understand that the draft is coming up at the end of this month but why is it so important for me to see how a player reacts in a non-game situation. Ohhh, he improved his mechanics - clap, clap, clap; Ohhh, he can throw to an uncovered receiver - clap, clap, clap. I saw them play when pressured, that should be enough. If you're a GM and you don't know what you need to make your team better by now then your team is doomed.

Now to the NCAA. ESPN ran a clip of Notre Dame head coach Chip "Leave 'em high and dry before the season's even over" Kelly being displeased with his team in Spring practice. Yes, I said Spring practice. He said "I'm not happy with what I see...We're nowhere near where we need to be...If I need to motivate 18-19 year olds to get excited for Notre Dame football" then something's wrong. His team is nowhere where it needs to be? Again, it's April. Firstly, your team won't be very good this year so shut it. Secondly, if you're expecting them to be what you need them to be in the future, now, you're probably going to be disappointed when the season starts because there's been no improvement. Thirdly, your new students won't get there until June - assess your team then. Lastly, IT'S APRIL!

I know that there are people in this world that need to know everything about Colt McCoy, Notre Dame, or if Tim Teabow's going to excel in the NFL but couldn't you do it in a special segment outside of SportsCenter? That way I could avoid the station entirely instead of being interrupted by useless information about a sport that's not even in season.

2 comments:

  1. It's not that hard to find a two way mirror. Just head to Safeway. They usually have some shady mirrors near the exit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making sure I don't steal any packs of Fruit Stripe gum.

    ReplyDelete