Monday, February 18, 2013

State License Plates Part 11: New York


July 26, 1788. That’s when New York became a state. When did hipsters from Brooklyn start destroying society? 1790?

I ♥ NY. I've only been there twice, and I need to go back, but I did enjoy my time there. I climbed the Empire State Building, saw a Broadway show (The Lion King), visited the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, Wall Street, Central Park … Basically everything touristy. My second outing was more of a quick 12-hour jaunt as I was there for a concert. I ate some pizza in Time Square, saw the under construction Freedom Tower, rode in a cab where the driver was straight out of ‘Crazy Taxi’, and had a New York Bagel for breakfast. But there’s more to New York than that right? I mean it’s the Empire State. Jay-Z made an awesome rap about it.

MDMA got you feeling like a champion
City never sleep better slip you an Ambien. 

Damn, that’s awesome. Anyway, back to the topic at hand, the plate.


New York’s state colors are blue and gold and they use them to great effect here. It’s an improvement from their original plate which highlights NYC and Niagara Falls and returns to their old format of using the state colors. It’s not a unique color scheme as Delaware uses the same colors but the difference is in their font and the thin border that sits just below the words ‘New York’. It’s a subtle variation but it’s enough to make the separation from the top to the bottom noticeable. There is also the way the words ‘Empire State’ stars out fat and then thins in the middle and then gets fatter again. It’s like the word is being stretched, which I am not sure what they are trying to say about the state, but it’s subtle enough that I like it. If it had been any more noticeable I probably would not like it at all. In it’s current state, no pun intended, I give it a B.


No comments:

Post a Comment