Wednesday, February 20, 2013

State License Plates Pt. 13: Rhode Island

The Ocean State. The Ocean State? Really? When I think Rhode Island I don't think of the ocean. I actually don't think of much except for Providence and the fictional Quahog. The ocean? Not so much.

Rhode Island was admitted into the Union on May 29, 1790 and apparently it's 'The Ocean State' because of the numerous inlets and bays that make up roughly 14% of the states total area. It's also the smallest state in total area, so having that much water surrounding it isn't all that hard - unless it was landlocked.

Having said that, I have never been to Rhode Island and like every other state that I have not been to yet - it's on my list. Now let's look at the plate.



Oh no. It almost looks like Clip Art has been used as the background. I get that the wave is the state's color Rhody Blue but it doesn't look good as a wave. I'm not sure what it would look good as - except as a jacket, or maybe a vest, or a beanie...OK, it can look good. This is just not one of those times. The placement of the anchor in the top left is a nice touch but it looks odd not having something else to balance it out on the right side. The font is fine, but the real problem is that wave. It's cheesy, boring, and uninspired. I give this plate a D.

No comments:

Post a Comment