Tuesday, February 19, 2013

State License Plates Pt. 12: North Carolina

The Tar Heel State. What does that mean anyway? No one really knows. But that's just what they call it. OK, have it your way North Carolina.

When I think of North Carolina I think of the Tar Heels of UNC, the Blue Devils from Duke, the Wolfpack from NC State, the Durham Bulls, the former Charlotte Hornets, the Outer Banks, and of course the Wright Brothers. I have no idea what else is there. Truly, I know next to nothing about this state. So let's look at the plate.


wRight off the bat (see what I did there?) we get the image of the Wright brothers and their plane, and the tag line 'First in Flight'. I like it, even if the 'in' is a bit harder to see than the rest. But that is necessary because the plane is the real draw here, not the words. 

The red lettering pops off the white background and the blue tall grass adds to the plane as we can imagine it swaying with the breeze as the plane flies overhead. It's a simple, yet effective image. I like the typeface for 'North Carolina'. The way the 'N' connects at the top and how certain letters don't fully connect. It looks modern and old fashioned at the same time.

The state's colours are red and blue, and they are used effectively here. They didn't try and do too much here, but they added some nice touches to show what the state has provided to the history of our nation. It's not perfect so I give it an A-.

No comments:

Post a Comment