Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Oscars 2012: My Predictions

This Sunday, the (arguably) biggest awards for achievement in film will be handed out. That's right, it' Oscar time. I'm a fan of the awards and there was a stretch of 3 years where I had seen all of the Best Picture nominees before they had been announced. That hasn't happened in a while, but I make it a point to try and see them all so I can make my pick - both personal and what I expect to happen. I will say this outright, I have not seen 'Amour' or 'Beasts of a Southern Wild', I intend to, but I don't expect them to win Best Picture.

I will examine the major categories, give my prediction for what I think will win and what I would pick. I'll start with the acting categories and work my way to the big prize.

Best Actor: 
My Pick ~ Joaquin Phoenix 'The Master'. To me this is the performance of the year. Phoenix shows us a tortured soul looking for a place in the world after the war and how he becomes involved with a cult-like organization. He's crazy, funny, enigmatic, polarizing, and frightening.

Prediction ~ Daniel Day-Lewis 'Lincoln'. He's won most award leading up to this for his commanding performance as one of our nation's greatest Presidents. I foresee another win for Daniel Day-Lewis.

Best Actress:
My Pick & Prediction ~ Jessica Chastain 'Zero Dark Thirty'. Chastain is fantastic as Maya, the woman behind the hunt for UBL. Even though Jennifer Lawrence won the SAG I believe Chastain will prevail here.

Best Supporting Actor:
My Pick ~ Christoph Waltz 'Django Unchained'. Waltz seems to have been born to read Quentin Tarantino's words. His cadence, his presence, it's all great.

Prediction ~ Robert De Niro 'Silver Linings Playbook'. I'm going to file this under 'Iron Lady' syndrome. The ads I've seen have been saying how long it's been since De Niro won an Oscar - the same thing with Streep and 'The Iron Lady' last year...and she won. If 'Playbook' wins only one award, it's this one.

Best Supporting Actress:
My Pick & Prediction ~ Anne Hathaway 'Les Misérables'. Take this one to the bank. She's amazing in this film, in the short time she's in it.

Best Director:
My Pick ~ Ang Lee 'Life of Pi'. I love this film and the direction from Lee is inspired.

My Prediction ~ Steven Spielberg 'Lincoln'. Without Affleck in the field I see Spielberg winning another trophy.

Best Adapted Screenplay:
My Pick & Prediction ~ 'Argo' Chris Terrio. This is well written film based on a story that if made up it would be considered too Hollywood. Thankfully, it's real and really really good.

Best Original Screenplay:
My Pick & Prediction ~ 'Zero Dark Thirty' Mark Boal. I am tempted to go with 'Django Unchained' here as my pick and prediction but with the recent WGA win I am going with 'Zero Dark Thirty'.

Best Animated Film:
My Pick ~ 'ParaNorman'. I loved this film, as seen in my review and it's my personal pick.

My Prediction ~ 'Brave'. 'Brave' has won most of the awards up to this point and even though it's not Pixar's best, it probably will win here. If not, then 'Wreck-It Ralph' will win.

Best Picture:
My Pick & Prediction ~ 'Argo'. This is the best film of the year and I don't see any other film throwing this awards train off the track as it heads for Oscar glory.


2 comments:

  1. Pretty valid, Skillet. No Jennifer Lawrence??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just didn't think she would win...maybe that's because I let my own feelings about the film get in the way of my predictions.

    ReplyDelete